Often, it’s a drink or a smoothie that makes my lunch stand out. On regular days, I tend to stick to a sandwich and, almost always, something with hummus. I do not get bored with these items, and one reason is the bright homemade drink that’s also tucked into my lunch bag. It could be a cold brewed tea with lemon wedges and fresh herbs, a freshly made juice, or a rich smoothie.
Green Lemonade with Honey & Dandelion:
Note: This recipe requires a juicer. I use a Breville 5-speed.
- 1 bunch of fresh dandelion greens, rinsed
- 3 lemons, peeled
- 2 small sweet apples, cored
- 1/4 cup of local honey
- 1 quart of cold water (at least)
- Juice the dandelion greens, lemons, and apples.
- In a large jar, scoop in half the honey. Fill the jar halfway with water. Shake a lot! Once the honey has dissolved in the water, pour into the dandelion-lemon-apple juice. Repeat with the rest of the honey.
- In a pitcher, combine the mixture of dandelion-lemon-apple juice and honey-water with the rest of the water. Whisk together, and taste. If it is too sour or bitter, add more cold water.
- Pack the lemonade in a mason jar. Store the rest in an airtight container in fridge for about a day.