Sometimes, it’s nice to have a salad for lunch. With the right combination of ingredients, a salad can be completely satisfying. Sometimes though, it’s nice to break the routine. Good thing it’s easy to freshen up a favorite salad by turning it into a wrap.
- Collard Green Wraps with Lemony Artichoke Spread & Root Vegetables
- Chia Seed Pudding with Honey & Almonds
- 1 tupperware container
- 1 mason jar
Collard Green Wraps with Lemony Artichoke Spread & Root Vegetables:
- 4 collard green leaves, rinsed and dried
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of Lemony Artichoke Spread (recipe below)
- 4 small boiled beets (Chioggia or Shiraz)
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- a handful of chopped scallion (green parts)
- a large handful of sliced almonds, freshly toasted
- Partially de-stem the collard green leaves where the stem is the thickest – about halfway. Set aside.
- Peel the boiled beets by rubbing the skin off with your fingers, or by scraping them with butter knife. Quarter the beets lengthwise.
- Slice the carrot into thin, pliable strips.
- To assemble the wrap, spread a spoonful of artichoke spread on a collard green leaf. Arrange all the other ingredients on top the spread. Roll the wrap and lay it in the container. If needed, seal up the wrap by dabbling artichoke spread on the loose ends of the greens.
Boiling beets is easy. They’re usually fork tender in 20 minutes, and if the skins are left on them, boiled beets will keep fresh in the fridge for days–ready to be peeled and added to salads, sandwiches, and sides.
Chia Seed Pudding with Honey & Almonds:
- 1 cup of canned coconut milk
- 1 tbs of chia seeds
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1 handful of sliced almonds
- Pour the milk and honey into the mason jar. Stir, but don’t worry if the honey doesn’t disolve (especially if the milk is chilled). At lunch time, try stirring again, and the honey will easily incorporate.
- Sprinkle the chia seeds and almonds into the milk. Cover the mason jar with the lid, and shake the ingredients. By lunch, the seeds will be plump, and the ingredients in the jar will have a pudding consistency.
Lemony Artichoke Spread:
This recipe was inspired by The Red Shallot Kitchen’s Artichoke Lemon Pesto recipe.
- 1 can of water-packed artichoke hearts
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1 half of a lemon
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- a pinch of black pepper
- 1 sprig of rosemary (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor except for the olive oil Process for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides.
- Turn the processor on and drizzle in the oil. Process until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
This artichoke spread is great homemade condiment. It is tasty on sandwiches or toast. A spoonful of it with a bit of water turns it into a nice salad dressing too.