After a two-month hiatus, it’s time to get back in the writing saddle. Today’s recipe is a quick, easy, and crunchy combination of pantry staples.
Chickpea-and-Almond Salad in Romaine Saddles:
- 4 leaves of romaine, rinsed and dried
- 1 cup of chickpeas
- 1 green onion, chopped (white and green parts)
- 1/3 cup of slivered almonds
- 1 handful of dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. of mustard
- 1 small lemon wedge
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary (optional)
- a few pinches of salt and pepper
- Pour the chickpeas, green onion, almonds, and cranberries in a bowl. Stir until the ingredients are evenly mixed up.
- Finely chop the fresh rosemary and sprinkle it in the bowl.
- Scoop the mustard into the bowl, and squeeze the lemon wedge over the bowl. Stir until all the ingredients are lightly coated. Note: the mixture will still look a bit dry, but upon tasting it, you’ll notice a soft lemony-mustardy flavor.
- Put the salad into the tupperware. Spread the salad, so that it is in one even layer. Prepare a piece of parchment paper in the shape of your container, and lay it over the salad.
- Place the romaine saddles on top of the parchment paper, and then lay the spoon on top of the romaine.
- If you have room, use the free space to pack a piece of fruit (half a banana, orange slices, apple wedges) in a bag. If you don’t put the fruit in a bag (especially banana), the fruit and salad flavors could mingle unpleasantly.
- Cover the tupperware.