- Trio of Greens Salad with Dressed Cannellini Beans and Zucchini-Persimmon Sauté
- Bread & Cheddar Slices
This two-container lunch is easy to pack and carry. To make it, I revisited yesterday’s theme of efficiency. I made big salads again for dinner, plus one extra for lunch.
- 1 shallow Pyrex dish
- 1 upcycled jelly sample jar
- 1 small Ziploc bag
- 1 roll of parchment or wax paper
Trio of Greens Salad with Cannellini Beans and Zucchini-Persimmon Sauté:
(Makes 1 Serving)
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 handful of arugula
- 1 handful of knife-shredded radicchio
- 1 tsp. of olive oil
- 1 tsp. of balsamic vinegar
- 8-10 carrot ribbons
- 1 tsp. of finely chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ of a can of cannellini beans
- 1 tbs. of hummus dressing (recipe below)
- ½ cup of zucchini-persimmon sauté (recipe below)
- Place the spinach, arugula, and radicchio in the left-hand side of the Pyrex container. Cut a square of wax paper and cover the greens.
- Put the olive oil and vinegar in the upcycled sample jelly jar. Secure the lid. Place the tiny jar in a far corner of the Pyrex dish, opposite the greens.
- Roll the carrot ribbons into tubes. Set two of the ribbon tubes next to the dressing jar, and put the rest on top of the wax paper. Sprinkle the chopped bell pepper on top of the rolled carrot ribbons.
- Combine the cannellini beans and the hummus dressing in small bowl, using a spoon.
- Spoon the dressed beans into the two carrot rolls near the dressing jar. They will look like little sushi.
- Cut a square of wax paper the width of the container. Spoon the zucchini-persimmon sauté onto the paper and taco-style, set it in the middle of the container between the greens and the carrot-bean rolls.
Bread & Cheddar Slices:
- 1 thick slice of bread
- 3 slices of cheddar cheese (¼ -inch-thick, off the block)
- Cut the bread slice into 3-4 smaller chunks, and place them in the small plastic bag. Place the bagged bread in the Pyrex container where it makes the most sense: on top of other ingredients if there is room, or butted right up against the side of the container.
- Wrap the cheese in a small square of wax paper. Set that on top of the salad ingredients in the Pyrex where there is room.
- 3 tbs. of hummus
- 1-2 tsp. of water
- 2 lemon wedges
- In a small bowl, stir the hummus and water together. I like to use a fork. Make sure the texture is smooth and that there are no hummus lumps.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the bowl. Stir again until the texture is consistent. Add more lemon juice to taste.
Zucchini-Persimmon Sauté (Makes 4):
- 1 zucchini, sliced into half-moons
- 2 fuyu persimmons
- 1 pinch of herb salt
- 1 splash of olive oil
- Warm the skillet on low heat. After a minute or two, put the olive oil in the pan and allow it to heat up.
- While the pan and oil heat, skin the persimmons with a knife. Discard the skins. Slice the fruit off the core, and discard the core. Dice the fruit.
- Put the zucchini half-moons in the skillet. Turn the head up to medium. Once one side of the zucchini turns a nice, crispy brown, toss in the persimmon. Sprinkle herb salt on top and continue to sauté for a few more minutes, or until both sides of the zucchini are browned.
- Slide everything onto a plate. Set the plate aside so that the zucchini and persimmons can cool.